After all the making and waiting - the first Wrens were taken to be cast and finished beautifully in bronze at the Birmingham foundry and the first have been collected.
Wren Bronze Happy Days
One was given a special finish by JOEL and mounted on a rock suitable for any garden design.
Entitled Wren of the Ancient Rock it was taken to be part of the exhibition at Marks Hall Gardens and Arboretum near Coggeshall in Essex.
Another has a lovely patination that echoes the colour tones of one of our smallest UK birds.
Wren Bronze Delight
This will be available through Galleries and to order from asculpture.co.uk.
Such a lovely gift for a Bronze Wedding anniversary or special birthday.
We hope to have news soon of the making of another famous British Bird to be celebrated in Bronze by Joel.
He some facts about the name and life of the Wren
Their scientific name, Troglodytes troglodytes, from the word troglodyte meaning “cave dweller”. This is because of their spending time close to the ground and in shady places. Their beautifully constructed dome shaped nests have only a small opening.
6 Fun facts about our Wrens
1. Wrens eat spiders and insects which they search for from crevices and catch using their long thin bill.
2. Wrens were first recorded in Anglo-Saxon times though there is fossil evidence from the last Ice age 10-120,000 years ago.
3. An adult wren will weigh about the same as a £1 coin, in Britain only the Firecrest and Goldcrest are a smaller than this bird species.
4. For such a small bird the wren has an amazingly loud song. For its size per unit weight it sings at ten times the power of a cockerel crowing
5. The wren will lay between one and nine eggs which only the female incubates, though both adults will feed the young chicks.
6. In Britain Wrens mainly stay within a territory (are sedentary) but in parts of Europe Wrens migrate and fly up to 2500 km (1500 miles). Some individuals have been shown to migrate from Scandinavia to Spain.
There is a tale how the Wren became King of the Birds...but that is another story